The photo essays presented here were published as original works created in 2017 by the Milwaukee Independent, with a focus on social and political rallies in the city.
Residents from Milwaukee were involved in many marches, protests, and vigils in 2017, as a result of the turbulent aftermath from the 2016 presidential election. The Milwaukee Independent documented these events, often walking backwards for miles in the cold, or dark, or rain, to capture the energy and messages of the participants who often totaled between a few thousand to tens of thousands. The images in these photo collections present an in-depth look at these social movements, where citizens stood up for issues that they believed in.
- Year In Review 2017: Voices from across the community
- Year In Review 2017: Connecting the dots back to Milwaukee
- Year In Review 2017: The building it takes to rejuvenate our community
- Year In Review 2017: The Bronzeville story of a little neighborhood that could
- Year In Review 2017: Heroes living the change they wish to see
- Year In Review 2017: The long shadow of Milwaukee's Postbellum Legacy
- Year In Review 2017: The soul of the city sculpted in paint
- Year In Review 2017: Milwaukee news that will matter beyond an unusual year
- Year In Review 2017: Standing up for the issues that impact Milwaukee
- Year In Review 2017: Speaking truth to power and our own denial
- Year In Review 2017: Images from today as a witness for the future