Sculpture Milwaukee, Fondy Park, and Germania redevelopment among City’s 2018 Design Awards
Twenty winners in four categories were announced for the 2018 Mayor’s Design Awards on May 24, an ongoing effort to recognize design excellence throughout the City of Milwaukee.
Recipients showcased in annual design competition have added value to their neighborhoods by restoring, constructing or enhancing properties in a way that respects the urban fabric and contributes to the character of their surroundings.
Past winners have included the Standing Rock Buffalo Topiaries, Green Corridor and Kinnickinnic River Trail; Eleven25 at Pabst, 1125 N. 9th Street; Compassion Sculpture, Intersection of 60th and Burleigh; General Mitchell Airport Baggage Claim, 5300 S. Howell Avenue; Tippecanoe Library, 3912 S. Howell Avenue; Ezekiel Gillespie Park, 2478 N. 14th Street; Potawatomi Hotel, 1600 W. Canal Street; and UW-Milwaukee School of Freshwater Sciences, 600 E. Greenfield Avenue.
Spaces and Places | Public Space
The following projects have found unique opportunities to contribute to the character of their neighborhoods by creating or enhancing streets and public spaces that engage the public, facilitate community gathering, and make the City a more beautiful and interesting place.
Test of Time | Preservation & Adaptive Reuse
- Historic Garfield Apartments, 2235 North Vel R. Phillips Avenue
- Mitchell Street Library & Alexander Lofts, 906 West Historic Mitchell Street
- Pabst Milwaukee Brewery & Taproom, 1037 West Juneau Avenue
- Historic Germania Building Redevelopment, 225 East Michigan Street
- Historic Mackie Building Redevelopment, 135 West Wells Street
The following projects have added value to the city by restoring or reusing their properties in a way that preserves and enhances the character of their neighborhoods and reinforces the traditional neighborhood fabric. These projects will help to preserve the city’s built environment and architectural legacy for future generations.
Small Gems | Neighborhood Projects
- Farmhouse Paint & Sip, 4511 South 6th Street
- Kinn Guesthouse & Kindred on KK, 2535 South Kinnickinnic Avenue
- Good City Brewing, 2108 North Farwell Avenue
- Cesar Chavez Drive Façade Renovations, 1000-1032 South Cesar Chavez Drive
- BMO Harris Bank – Sherman Park Branch, 3637 West Fond du Lac Avenue
The following projects have added value to the City by displaying design excellence while respecting the urban fabric and contributing to the character of their surroundings.
Design That Grabs You| Major Projects
- Mercantile Building Addition, 318 North Water Street
- DoMUS, 401 East Erie Street
- Bader Rutter, 1433 North Water Street
- Westin Hotel, 550 North Van Buren Street
- Northwestern Mutual Tower & Commons, 800 East Wisconsin Avenue
The following projects have made exciting and important contributions to the urban environment by respecting the context of their surroundings while raising the bar for major development and contemporary architecture in the City of Milwaukee.
Lee Matz and City of Milwaukee