The Milwaukee County Historical Society (MCHS) presented Allan H. “Bud” Selig with the Witness to History Award at its 64th Annual Awards Dinner on May 9.
Held at the Pfister Hotel, Selig was featured with many others who have made longstanding contributions to Milwaukee.
The fundraising event held at the Pfister Hotel recognized Selig along with individuals and organizations that have played a significant role in preserving Milwaukee history. Milwaukee companies, organizations, and institutions were also celebrated for their milestone anniversaries.
Selig’s Witness to History honor was awarded because of his work and lifetime commitment in shaping the community’s history through sports.
“I love history, all kinds of history, baseball history, history of Milwaukee,” Selig told the audience of hundreds as he reflected on his time with the Brewers ball club. “If I had not been successful, none of this would have taken place,” he added, in reference to Milwaukee’s baseball legacy. “It is an overwhelming thought, it really is. But I am proud and happy, and grateful to be so honored tonight with this award as a witness to history.”
After the Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966, the city was without Major League Baseball until Selig brought the Seattle Pilots to town in 1970, and renamed them the Milwaukee Brewers.
Selig quoted himself with his words found at Miller Park’s Selig Experience exhibit, “No matter what has happened to me in my career, the thing I will always be most proud of is bringing baseball back to Milwaukee.”
The Milwaukee County Historical Society recognized other individuals with special awards at the event, including John W. Daniels, Jr., Forest County Potawatomi, Randy Bryant, and Matthew J. Prigge.
- Clas Plaza: Milwaukee County
- Nonprofit Center of Milwaukee
- Penfield Children’s Center
- Schlossmann Auto Group
- The Coffee House
- United Performing Arts Fund
- UWM Golda Meir Library
- VISIT Milwaukee
- Woman’s Club of Wisconsin Foundation
- Bay View Printing Press Co.
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin SE
- Milwaukee FBI Office
- Wisconsin Public Radio
- Bank Mutual Corporation
- Divine Savior Holy Angels H.S.
- Greater Milwaukee Association of Realtors
- Marquette Univ. Law School
- Milwaukee County Zoo
- Pabst Mansion
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- The Phoenix Company
- Village of Whitefish Bay Wisconsin State Fair Park
- Clement J. Zablocki V.A. Medical Center
- U.S. Coast Guard, Milwaukee
- 175 Years
- First Congregational Church of Wauwatosa
- First Unitarian Society of Milwaukee
- Foley & Lardner LLP