Mayor Tom Barrett and Alderman Robert Bauman rode The Hop on February 21 during the lunch hour to celebrate the transit system’s milestone of reaching one million riders. Along with Public Service Ambassadors from Milwaukee Downtown BID #21, they also distributed free “Thanks A Million” coupon books to streetcar riders.
After launching passenger service on November 2, 2018 with a projected daily ridership of around 1,800, The Hop, presented by Potawatomi Hotel & Casino, welcomed 802,541 riders during the first year of service, with 2,205 rides per day.
“It’s incredible that we reached this historic milestone in such a short period of time, and a true testament to how Milwaukee residents and visitors have quickly embraced the streetcar as a viable and valuable transit option creating a more connected city,” said Mayor Barrett. “These coupon books are our way of saying ‘thank you!’ to the riders who have made the system so successful and a great way for us to strengthen our partnerships with many of the great businesses along the route that contribute to the vibrancy of our city.”
The total passenger ridership stood at 967,257 at the beginning of this month. The system was projected to welcome its 1,000,000th rider on Friday, February 21. The Hop partnered with a variety of downtown businesses on or near the route to produce and distribute a free “Thanks A Million” coupon books, which collectively contained over $1,000,000 worth of deals.
Each of the 5,000 coupon books contained over $200 in value from supporting partners that included Brew City Brand, Brunch, Eleven Pilates Studio, Freshii, Geromove Physical Therapy, Grohmann Museum, iPrint, My Office, Oak & Shield Gaming Pub, P’Dia, Planet Bead, Powers Jewelry, The Spice House, Ticket King, Urban Milwaukee: The Store, Wahlburgers, The Wicked Hop, and Zoup.
- Thanks a Million: Milwaukee’s streetcar celebrates its 1,000,000th rider
- The Hop unveils CityPost digital kiosks to provide real-time route info and civic amenities
- The Hop celebrates is first year of streetcar service in Milwaukee with strong ridership numbers
- Hip-Hop Week MKE 2019 infuses music with health, civic engagement, and financial literacy
- Nile puts “The Hop” in Hip-Hop Week with first-ever streetcar concert performance
- The Hop marks major milestone for end of Streetcar construction with ceremonial last weld
- Safety tips released for motorists and pedestrians on sharing road with The Hop Streetcars
- The Hop to hold job fair for Streetcar positions
- Milwaukee’s first streetcar for The Hop completes successful maiden track test
- After half century Milwaukee is again home to a Streetcar
- Streetcar manufacturer delivering first vehicle to Milwaukee
- Streetcar route alters festival footprint for 2018 Bastille Days
- Milwaukee Streetcar reaches deal with Transit Workers Union
- City seeks proposals for marketing Milwaukee Streetcar
- The Hop: Potawatomi’s $10M Streetcar sponsorship includes free rides
- Mayor Barrett walks with Streetcar workers along Milwaukee’s transit future
- Photo Essay: Digging up Milwaukee’s Streetcar Past
- Video: 1922 Streetcar Rails from Route 10
- Milwaukee Notebook: Streetcar builds on a sometimes strange history
- Streetcar construction on target to meet minority employment and contracts
- Another 320 feet of track cemented along Streetcar route
- Photo Essay: Streetcar work moves through downtown
- Crews reshape roadway as first streetcar rails installed
- Milwaukee public gets first look at streetcar rail construction
- Photo Essay: Streetcar leaves footprint as rail welding begins
- Construction of rail lines to begin for Milwaukee Streetcar
- Streetcar extension to connect Bronzeville and Walker’s Point in future
- Virtual rail system could bridge Milwaukee’s transit network