Earthquake Mission in Türkiye:
Documenting the devastation with Türk Kizilay
Earthquake Mission in Türkiye: A massive earthquake struck Türkiye and Syria on February 6, leaving tens of thousands dead and millions homeless. Milwaukee Independent was invited by a team of American doctors and clergy to document conditions in the hardest hit parts of Türkiye a month later, embedded with the Turkish Red Crescent, Türk Kizilay. This special series offers a snapshot of the situation in Adiyaman and Antakya in images, with stories from first responders and survivors of the unfolding natural disaster. mkeind.com/earthquakemissionturkiye
Series: Earthquake Mission in Türkiye
- Earthquake Mission in Türkiye: Documenting vast devastation with the Turkish Red Crescent
- Displaced and Deserted: What remains of Adiyaman and Antakya after the February 6 disaster
- Türk Kizilay: Providing emergency relief to those affected by the Kahramanmaraş earthquake
- Refugees without a war: Surviving both a massive earthquake and its toxic trauma in Türkiye
- Thinking about the best way to help survivors in Türkiye when the unthinkable happens
- From Milwaukee to Istanbul: A visual diary from a city at the crossroads of Europe and Asia
A massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck parts of Türkiye and Syria on February 6. The Milwaukee public is encouraged to make donations to Türk Kizilay, the Turkish Red Crescent, in support of their vital crisis relief work.
Extended Coverage of conditions in Türkiye
Déjà vu of Photojournalism: Forced progress, brutal invasion, mother nature, and the detritus of life
Back in March, I stood among the ruins of a neighborhood in Antakya, Türkiye. The Biblical city, once known as Antioch, had been devastated by the February 6 earthquake. As I took pictures of the collapsed residential areas, a member of the Turkish Red Crescent team I...
Milwaukee photojournalist narrowly misses flash flood that kills 14 in earthquake-battered Türkiye
Floods caused by torrential rains hit two Turkish provinces that were devastated by last month’s catastrophic earthquake, killing at least 14 people and increasing the misery for thousands who were left homeless, officials said on March 15. Milwaukee...
Survivors struggle with shelter and sanitation a month after powerful earthquake in Türkiye and Syria
A little more than a month after a powerful quake devastated parts of Türkiye and Syria, hundreds of thousands of people still need adequate shelter and sanitation, and an appeal for $1 billion to assist survivors is only 10% funded, hampering efforts to tackle the...