Families across Milwaukee County can leave their cars, minivans, and SUVs at home on September 22, and step on the bus for the Milwaukee County Transit System’s “Take Your Kid on the Bus Day.”
All children 11 and under ride for free on all MCTS routes that day. The special event also includes free stickers for young riders and deals and discounts at local attractions.
“As adults we realize how important MCTS is to empowering people and strengthening our community but for children the bus is simply fun and exciting– that’s what Take Your Kid on the Bus Day is celebrating,” said County Executive Chris Abele. “From the Zoo to the airport, from our many museums to the County parks, transit is a safe, convenient and affordable way for families to explore and enjoy our community.”
With 60 Routes and 5,500 bus stops, there are many fun places MCTS can take passengers and their children.
“Discovery World is very excited to partner with our friends at the Milwaukee County Transit System during Take Your Kid on the Bus Day,” said Joel Brennan, Discovery World CEO & President. “With our location on the lakefront, transportation can often be the main barrier to accessing our museum, so we encourage the entire community to support public transportation and visit us on September 22.”
- Take the GoldLine to the Milwaukee County Zoo, the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum or Discovery World.
- Visit the reimagined Streets of Old Milwaukee at the Milwaukee Public Museum on Routes 12, 23, 31 & BlueLine.
- Thanks to Milwaukee Downtown BID #21, play free board games like Chess, Clue and Jenga at the Downtown GO! Kart on the plaza of 310W (310 West Wisconsin Ave). Use Routes 23, 30, 30X, BlueLine of GoldLine to get to the fun.
- Bublr Bikes is offering unlimited free 30-minute rides on Take Your Kid on the Bus Day; time after the original 30-minutes is charged in 30-minute blocks at the rate of $4 plus tax.
- MCTS routes can get you to many of the behind-the-scenes tours for Doors Open Milwaukee. It’s your chance to tour more than 170 buildings across Milwaukee.
“A healthy, prosperous, sustainable community is one with multiple, convenient transit options to help people move easily throughout our community,” said James Davies, Bublr’s Senior Director of Operations. “Bublr and MCTS are great travel options alone, and even more convenient when used together. We’re proud to be part of Take Your Kid on the Bus Day and we hope people take advantage of the free 30-minute Bublr rides and all the other great deals that day.”
While kids ride for free on September 22, adults can also save some money when they show their MCTS M•CARD at partner locations. Deals include free Bublr bike rides and admission discounts to Discovery World, the Milwaukee County Zoo, Milwaukee Public Museum and Betty Brinn Children’s Museum.
“Milwaukee Downtown, BID #21 is proud to partner with Milwaukee County Transit System for Take Your Kid on the Bus Day, featuring deals from downtown’s top museums and attractions, plus free lunchtime fun and games at the new Downtown GO! Kart,” said Beth Weirick, CEO of Milwaukee Downtown, BID #21. “For children, an ordinary venture on the bus can become an extraordinary way to sight-see, experience, and explore the city.”