Beasties Safari is a summer-long public art project of the Zoological Society of Milwaukee to build awareness of the Window to the Wild Capital Campaign.
Presented by Blue Moon, the campaign is raising money for Adventure Africa, which will include new exhibits for the elephants, hippos and rhinos. The Beasties will be on display through Labor Day, September 3.
Beasties By The Numbers
- 42 Beasties are on Safari with 17 on Zoo grounds – including a 16-foot Beastie outside the Zoo entrance, 7 in the Waukesha area and 18 in Milwaukee.
- Each Beastie has a sponsor. Blue Moon is the presenting sponsor of Beasties Safari. Local artists, selected by the sponsors, were contracted to paint the Beasties.
- Sponsors have been given the opportunity to purchase their Beasties. All Beasties that are not sold to sponsors will be offered for sale through an online auction beginning August 1.
- The Beastie design was created by Milwaukee artist Dennis Pearson. Dennis has crafted two poses of the iconic Beasties, a standing version and a bench version, specifically for the Zoological Society project. The standing Beastie is 54” tall, 48” long and 23”wide. The bench Beastie is 40” to top of ears and 53” long. The seat is 32” long and 26” wide. Dennis is painting two prototype Beasties.
- All funds raised through the project will support the Adventure Africa exhibit. The first portion of Adventure Africa, new exhibits for elephants and hoofstock, is already under construction and is set to open in spring 2019. New exhibits for hippos and rhinos will be built in future years.