John McGivern returns to TV with program exploring Main Streets from all over the Upper Midwest
Actor, comedian, and TV host John McGivern is returning to local airwaves. He will host a new half-hour weekly TV show called “John McGivern’s Main Streets.”
McGivern is setting his GPS for 13 ‘Main Streets’ all over the Upper Midwest, traveling from Wisconsin to Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana.
“The name came from the fact that in all of my years of experience out on the road, I have found Main Streets are alive and well,” said McGivern. “They’re local and they have a real sense of familiar. It’s really where the heart of the communities beats the loudest. So I thought ‘John McGivern’s Main Streets’ was a great name.”
Season 1 of John “McGivern’s Main Streets” will showcase more than a dozen destinations as only McGivern can, through entertaining conversations and fun facts that will no doubt lead to laughs. The show will highlight great communities in and out of Wisconsin, giving viewers even more places to learn about and explore.
“When I figured out what I wanted to do next, after the PBS series series ended, I gave Plum Media a call and told them that these were my thoughts, this is what I want to do,” said McGivern. “And they seemed to want to do the same thing.”
Plum Media is an award-winning media and events production company located in Milwaukee, that has produced hundreds of events and thousands of videos.
“We’re going to go 300 miles in all directions of my condo in downtown Milwaukee,” said McGivern. “I’m so excited to expand my travels to the surrounding states and meet fellow Midwesterners on their turf. I already ordered my I-PASS!”
“John McGivern’s Main Streets” will begin airing in Wisconsin and across the Midwest in January of 2022 on top TV stations all across the upper Midwest. Plum Media in Milwaukee is producing this series for distribution throughout Wisconsin with the intent to expand the reach across the Midwest each season.
The goal of this show is to strengthen and build goodwill in communities by telling the stories of diverse people as they live local and commit themselves to their main streets.
Five-time Emmy Award winning actor and host McGivern learned about the world growing up on Oakland Avenue, the main street of his east-side Milwaukee neighborhood. John has shared his memories through his one man shows for his whole career. He tells the stories of being the third born of six kids in a working-class, Irish Catholic family in the Midwest.
His stories are personal, funny, touching, familiar, and serve as a reminder that everyone shares a universal human experience. For the past nine years, he had been getting to know the stories of other peoples’ main streets. By simply talking and exploring, McGivern shared the hearts of each one of the 117 Wisconsin communities with PBS viewers all across the country.
Related John McGivern Coverage
- John McGivern gives Milwaukee a much needed laugh with his socially distanced show at the Pabst theater
- John McGivern returns to TV with program exploring Main Streets from all over the Upper Midwest
- Up Close (but not too close): John McGivern's socially-distanced holiday shows postponed until 2021
- Exclusive: John McGivern and John Gurda illuminate why Milwaukee should Light the Hoan Bridge
- Humor, change, and more holiday tales with John McGivern
- Generations share 4th of July tradition at Lake Park with John McGivern
- John McGivern gives voice to our shared holiday memories in new show
- Photo Essay: On stage with John McGivern’s Holiday Tales
- Photo Essay: John McGivern fulfills Lake Park Tradition
- Photo Essay: Behind-the-Scenes with John McGivern
- John McGivern brings his show “Around the Corner” to Story Hill’s Calvary Cemetery for Season 9
- Episodes of John McGivern’s “Around the Corner” offer preview of Milwaukee for 2020 DNC visitors
- John McGivern’s PBS show kicked off its 7th season with a special preview
- “Around the Corner with John McGivern” featured in PBS lineup for 2018 season
- John McGivern’s PBS show among big winners at Regional Emmys
- Photo Essay: On location in Havenwoods with John McGivern
- John McGivern’s Around the Corner celebrates Brewers Hill community
- PBS World to broadcast “Around the Corner” nationally with 7th season
- Photo Essay: A massive world of miniature trains
- Photo Essay: PBS Preview at Lakefront Brewery
- From ‘on location’ to public ‘screening’ with “Around the Corner”
- Photo Essay: Filming on active bridges
- Lake Park’s 4th of July celebration bonds 105 years of community
- Map: Around the Corner Locations and Episodes
- Exclusive: On location with “Around the Corner” in Whitefish Bay
- A conversation with Anne Basting about aging and its conflicted cultural value
- Design makes the difference at John Michael Kohler Arts Center
- Conversations on combating loneliness over the age of 50