Westown Neighborhood joins Mayor’s Walking Challenge
As part of his 2016 Walk “100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge,” Mayor Tom Barrett will walk through the Westown area of Downtown Milwaukee, starting at Old World 3rd Street and Juneau on Wednesday, June 29th at Noon.
The Westown neighborhood is home to many catalytic development projects including: the new Bucks arena, Grand Avenue Mall re-development, Marquette University Athletic Performance Research Facility, UW-Panther Arena upgrades and other multi-family housing projects.
The walk will make its way south down Old World 3rd Street past Pere Marquette Park towards West Wisconsin Avenue and end at downtown’s favorite lunch destination, the Westown Farmers Market! The Westown Farmers’ Market features more than 50 vendors selling Wisconsin-grown produce and flowers, delicious prepared food items, handcrafted art and jewelry, lunch from area restaurants and live music in the park’s gazebo. Reserved tables will be provided for the Mayor’s Walk participants to stay and enjoy lunch at the market.
This is an opportunity for the public to walk with the Mayor and observe all of the exciting neighborhood developments along the way. Participants should bring a water bottle and wear comfortable shoes. Strollers, coaster wagons, wheelchairs, trikes and scooters are welcome. The route is approximately one mile.
Mayor Barrett’s Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge is a City-wide effort to encourage residents to stay active. Participants can walk on their own, in a group or join one of the many community walks to work toward the goal of 100 miles in 100 days.
About the Westown Association
The Westown Association, Business Improvement District #5, champions social and economic development of the western portion of downtown Milwaukee through marketing, special events, business advocacy and outreach initiatives that improve the vitality and quality of life of this part of the central business district.
- Health and Community Engagement: Mayor Tom Barrett hosts last Walk 100 event of sixth season
- Bronzeville community joins Mayor’s 100 day walking challenge for a healthier neighborhood
- Mayor Tom Barrett kicks off Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge for a healthier 2019
- Walk 100 Miles program ends its fifth season of exercise and community exploration
- Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days kicks off with journey along photos and sculptures
- Community walk with Mayor Barrett explores murals in Silver City neighborhood
- Photo Essay: Healthy living celebrated at last Mayor’s Walk 100 of 2017
- Photo Essay: Mayor Barrett’s 100 Day walking challenge concludes
- Mayor Barrett walks with Streetcar workers along Milwaukee’s transit future
- Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days Challenge 2017 to encourage active living
- On Walking in Milwaukee: For Health & Safety, Exploration & Revolutionary Art
- On Walking Intently: Mushroom Hunting and Jane’s Walk MKE
- Westown Neighborhood joins Mayor’s Walking Challenge
- Public invited to walk historic Concordia area with city officials
- Mayor Tom Barrett kicks-off 2016 walking initiative